Friday, June 11, 2010

If You Don't Need It, Don't Buy It

I grew up in a family that loves to save. From as early as 7 years old, my dad taught me how to manage my money. Yes, I already have money by that time. But it wasn’t easy, I have to earn it. For every perfect quiz I make, I get money as a reward. Not bad eh? I get motivated to study as hard as I could, I also receive rewards. Even if one perfect quiz is only worth P20, I rack up at least P200 per month!

Though I was trained to work hard to earn, that wasn’t the only reason why they let me do it. Later on I found out that it was training for me to manage my money. I keep every peso in my piggy bank and would count it every weekend with my family. I only use a portion of my savings to buy things that bring little joy to any kid – candies, DEC shakes (much like Quickly), potato corner French fries and sometimes toys.

Studying hard to learn and to earn made me love studying even more. As I grew older, the rewards faded away and my wants changed. I wanted to buy many things, from mobile phones, to gadgets, to clothes, game consoles.

Since I don’t earn anymore from quizzes, I always go to my father whenever I want to buy something. The answer I usually get is “If you don’t need it, even if it is cheap, we won’t buy it. If you need it, even if it is expensive, we will buy it.”

I usually get pissed when I hear this because I actually don’t understand it because at that time. A bubble always pops out of my mind saying “We have the money, why don’t you just buy me the damn thing?” This continuously went on throughout college.

Until one day, I received my very first paycheck from work that made me realize that the principle my dad taught me was very simple to understand. Money is hard earned, but you can easily lose it if you don’t know how to control yourself. You should only spend it on things that you need. Unable to buy what you want won’t kill you anyway.

From that day forward, I am doing what I was doing as a kid. Whenever and wherever I get money, I save it not to a piggy bank anymore but in a bank account. I just withdraw and spend a specific amount for my needs. And sometimes I reward myself by buying some things I like. Bottom line is learn to save up, spend only what’s needed. You’ll be surprised that this will slowly shape up your financial future. -DE

0 comments:

Post a Comment